What Do German Roaches Look Like?
A serious urban pest in Texas and throughout the U.S., adult German roaches are tan to light brown. They are also smaller than American cockroaches and Oriental roaches, measuring 1/2 to 5/8 inches long.
Why Do I Have A German Cockroach Problem?
German cockroaches can be found in Houston as well as throughout the world, and have a tendency to live inside buildings. These cockroaches are especially attracted to warm and humid rooms, including: kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms. They are attracted to all different kinds of food sources, as well as things like soap, glue and toothpaste.
Where Do German Roaches Hide?
German cockroaches are more commonly found living inside rather than outdoors. In fact, they are considered the most common type of roach to infest homes, multi-family dwellings, restaurants and other commercial facilities. They are often found hiding in humid, moist areas such as kitchens and bathrooms and have a tendency to lurk behind appliances and in or under cardboard boxes.
What Are The Signs Of A German Cockroach Problem?
If German cockroaches are living in your home you may see them scurrying on your counter tops or inside of drawers or cabinets. You will also find their droppings in those same areas; their droppings look very similar to ground pepper. You may also notice piles of empty egg cases that the females drop after laying their eggs.
What Kind Of Threat Do German Cockroaches Pose?
German cockroaches are the most common cockroach in Texas and have the most impact as a nuisance pest. They may transmit disease organisms and cause allergic reactions in some people.
How Do I Control German Cockroaches?
Because cockroaches spend 75% of their time hidden away in cracks and crevices, they are a difficult pest to control without the help of a professional. Contact Holder’s at the first sign of a cockroach problem and rest assured that our highly trained and knowledgeable pest control technicians will eliminate any cockroach activity on your property.
How Do You Prevent German Cockroaches?
Sealing cracks on the exterior of your home or business will help deter roaches but that will not stop them from entering in bags, cardboard boxes and other infested items. The key is to make your structure unappealing to roaches (and other pests) by removing food, water and harborages. With that in mind, here are a few ways you can discourage roach infestations:
- Routinely remove garbage, make sure to store it outside in a trash can with a tight fitting lid away from the exterior of your home.
- If you have a dumpster, do not allow waste material to pile up outside the container.
- Keep entry doors, garage doors and loading docks closed when not in use.
- Keep food in the refrigerator or in sealed containers.
- Clean up spills and crumbs as soon as they occur and do not let grease build up around kitchen appliances.
- Fix leaky pipes and install de-humidifiers in the high humidity areas of your home.
- Inspect bags, boxes and packages for signs of cockroaches before bringing them inside.