Houston, TX (April 7, 2016) – Holder’s Pest Solutions is joining the pest management industry in celebrating National Pest Management Month this April. This public observance is recognized each year by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) to acknowledge the pest management industry’s commitment to the protection of public health, food and property from common pest threats. As spring is also a busy time for pest-related activity, Holder’s is encouraging homeowners to be proactive and pest-proof in order to protect their home from an infestation.
“Every day, pest professionals are out in the field, helping homeowners protect their property and family from the potential disease and destruction caused by various pests, including rodents, mosquitoes and termites,” said Shane McCoy, Director of Quality and Technical Trainin. “Spring marks a particularly busy time as these pests emerge, looking for sources of food, water and shelter. And, sometimes the simplest home improvements can be all that’s needed to help ward off infestations.”
To assist homeowners in pest-proofing their home this spring, NPMA experts and Holder’s recommend the following:
• Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters to help reduce biting mosquito populations.
• Seal any cracks on the outside of the home with a silicone-based caulk, including entry points for utilities and pipes.
• Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
• Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house. Overhanging branches can act as highways into the home.
• Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles.
• Keep mulch at least 15 inches from the foundation.
• Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
• Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
• Avoid leaving pet food out in dishes for long periods of time.
• Consider partnering with a pest control professional to determine the best preventative service plan to suit your home and needs.
If you’re having difficulty managing spring pests, contact Holder’s today!