As a business owner, you know that one of the major keys to success is to make sure that the reputation of your Houston business is kept unharmed. Having problems with pests in your facility is a sure fire way to have your businesses’ reputation damaged. Nothing will make customers think twice about visiting your business more than pests, especially rodents and rats. This is why at Holder’s Pest Solutions, we want to offer you some tips on how you can protect your business and its reputation from becoming damaged by roof rats. Before we get into how to prevent roof rats we want you to understand why they are so dangerous to have in your commercial facility. Here are a number of reasons why roof rats require immediate attention from a Houston pest control expert:
- Excellent climbers- Roof rats are excellent climbers. This ability of theirs makes it very easy for them to make their way into buildings and commercial facilities. Once inside, they will create nesting and living areas in the upper parts of structures.
- Structural damage- Because they are rodents, rats have a constant need to chew to keep their front incisors from overgrowing. This constant chewing will cause damage to electrical wires, insulation, plumbing pipes and your inventory. All of this damage can lead to product contamination, fire and water damage.
- Disease- Roof rats will leave a trail of urine and feces wherever they travel in your facility. Salmonellosis, Leptospirosis, Dysentery and Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome are all serious diseases that can be introduced into your facility because of roof rats’ excrement.
- Contamination- Roof rats are in your facility not only to nest, but also to forage for food. Any food that you have stored for sale or that you have in kitchen areas, can quickly become contaminated.
As a commercial facility owner, there are some things that you can do around your facility to protect it, your inventory, employees and customers from rat infestations.
- Make sure that any trees or bushes are trimmed away from the exterior of your facility. Rats will use their branches to gain easy access the building.
- Keep dumpsters and other trash receptacles away from the exterior of the building and make sure that they have tight fitting lids on them. Regularly remove garbage from your facility to these areas.
- Make sure that garage doors and other entrances into the facility are not kept open for long periods of time.
- Repair any holes along the roof line and replace any missing roof tiles.
- Keep screens over vents and chimneys.
- Repair any leaky pipes or fixtures.
- Inside your facility, keep storage areas as clutter free as possible and properly store food whether it be your inventory or in the break room.
- Do not leave food out on counters or dirty dishes in the sink.
If rats do end up making their way into your facility the best way to get rid of them is with professional commercial pest control services. Professionals like those at Holder’s Pest Solutions will be able to quickly and effectively remove your rodent problem and help identify the areas around your facility that may be attracting them. With year-round commercial pest control services in place, you can rest assured that your customers will never become witness to a rat, or other pests, scurrying about your business.
Keep your reputation unharmed from invasive pests like roof rats and contact Holder’s today!